Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

Inspiration Friday - "Julie & Julia"

My inspiration choice this week is a PAST inspiration...something that got a hold of me a couple of years ago and never let go and carried me here today:

The move "Julie & Julia". It's the premise of the book/movie that made me want to blog and express myself. Oh, I've ALWAYS expressed myself through English classes and creative writing classes in college, but it was the movie and what Julie Powell did with her little blog (which she started for herself for her OWN motivation) and subsequently what happened that inspired ME to want to start to blog and have that one, beautiful moment when you finally see that SOMEONE, out of nowhere, is following along with you on your journey. It's like it finally all MEANS so much more! It’s about writing about what you KNOW, not trying to fake it!



I think the fact that her blogging started as a coping mechanism of Julie trying to deal with the stress of being in NYC on and after 9/11 and the nature of her job which dealt with the aftermath and stress of that horrible day is something that I can relate you. I by NO means am trying to minimize what she or any other New Yorker went through, but it's just what I can take from it and relate to my own tumultuous world of a couple of years ago. It's like that first crocus bud popping out of the snow. Out of everything that can weigh us down, something light and uplifting can sprout.

While I'm no cook and wouldn't DREAM of attempting Julia Child's recipes (I can barely make a decent bowl of oatmeal), it's my eagerness to learn to express myself more and more clearly that will evolve in this blog. It's getting over that fear of having nothing good or smart to say that will slowly diminish and make way for creativity and clarity, no matter WHAT it may sound like.

(however I WAS inspired to read "My Life in France" by Julia Child and watch her DVDS and LOVED them!)

It's the slow process of accepting me, who I am, what I like and don't like, what I will and won't put up with.

It's that “aha” moment! I finally accomplished something and saw it through and it actually makes sense!! And, honestly, I have to say, this is the ONLY thing I've done in years that gives me a HUGE feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction - it's something that neither school nor work have been able to fulfill in all this time:)

No comments:

Post a Comment