Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Diving into the Deep End

Spawned from my "Inspiration Friday" post, I decided to venture into our local Fabric Depot, the Portland fabric "Mecca" for just about every pattern and print you can find (my ex-sister-in-law actually used to plan trips from CA to come up here just to shop there). Thinking, gee, I for SURE will be able to find what I want there, I eagerly walked in.

I was completely overwhelmed. Who would have thought that I could possibly have been facing TOO many choices....too many styles, fabric, textures, prints, etc. I almost had a panic attack!

Needless to say I wandered around for nearly two hours like a deer in headlights, ready to cry, ready to give up. I almost did. I almost threw in the inspiration towel and called it a day. I must have looked like a deer in headlights because two different women came up to me to offer me help and a shopping basket. I let them help me, something fiercely independent me normally doesn't do.

It felt good to be helped! I decided to take their cue and started from the beginning at the patterns, remembering where my inspiration stemmed from yesterday. I got redirected and re-grounded.

I started back on a new foot, through the forest of fabrics, trying to see it for the trees (or bolts), took a deep breath and settled on just two simple fabrics to start. I left feeling like I had accomplished something (thought I felt like I also needed a shower and a mojito!)

I learned to start out slower, not jump in with both feet necessarily all the time. Take a deep breath and take in some air and take it easy. The rest will come in time.

This was just more symbolic to me today than just picking up some fabric at the local store. I behaved in Fabric Depot like I behave in other areas of my life...I plunge into the deep end without much thought, only to wind up winded and exhausted in the end with feelings of frustration instead of accomplishment. It's indicative of so many things I do and HAVE done. I don't always know when to step back, sit down, or even say no.

I'm going to take something away from today (besides red and white polka dot cotton)...be patient, be calm, and carry on!

Inspiration works in mysterious ways....

No comments:

Post a Comment