Search This Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Pet Peeves, Vol. 1

Stubbornness vs. Opinions

I respect a good opinion..heck, I've started a blog, haven't I?? However, unyielding opinions, in MY opinion, are a bad habit and cross the line into good old fashioned stubbornness.

An opinion remains open and can change over time. The word itself, to my ears, lends to flexibility. It's not unwavering...at least I'd like to think that most of mine, aren't, anyway. I think the fact that they evolve has helped shaped the person I've become, for better or worse. I’m not saying I’m wishy-washy…there are times when I feel strongly about one thing, learn more about it over time, and actually CHANGE my opinion. Not always, and not always for the best, but hey, it happens. I’ve learned from these mistakes in judgment as well.

I had, for me, "strong" opinions of certain things when I was younger. However, just like I outgrew Salt 'n Pepa and New Kids on the Block (sorry, but I will NEVER outgrow 80s, hard-core new-wave, however), I have outgrown some of the ideas I had about life, style, other people, etc. It's kinda hard to avoid, don't ya think?

But the die-hards who practice "BTTWWADI" (pronounced - "bitwadee") - Because That The Way We've Always Done It, are just limiting and restricting themselves...and probably causing themselves a bad case of heartburn and hypertension, too. Doing things one way and one way only is because it’s of the OPINION that it’s the right thing to do…but isn’t this a form of stubbornness as well?

If I ever grow TOO opinionated and cross the proverbial threshold into the Land of Stubborness, please let me know (although I may be the FIRST to know after I ruminate all night about something I KNOW I shouldn't have said).. I try hard to remain open and see all sides before I pass judgment or pass my "opinion" along. I WANT to hear your opinions, good and bad. I may not always agree with them; some may make me down-right angry, but I want to know. Honesty IS the best policy!

But that's just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment